(1) Intumescent coatings are fire protection measureswhich swell up when heated (in a fire for example) and protect the material(steel, plasterboard or wood ) underneath it, from fire.
(2) They are used to achieve passive fire protection forsuch applications as fires topping, fireproofing, gasketing and window casings.
(3) Application ofintumescent paint layers helps fireproof structural steel, steel beams,steelwork or cast iron and can be used externally or internally, on small orlarger areas Such applications are relevant for buildings, offshoreconstructions, ships and aircraft.
(4) Intumescent paints and coatings are generally used inarchitecture and in the building of structural steel or timber members.
They can provide a decorative and aesthetically pleasingfinish on previously exposed steel, as well as keeping the material below itscritical temperature to maintain its integrity in the outbreak of a fire orheat explosion.
(5) Intumescent coatings can be thinner than technicallysprayed fireproofing methods.
Plot No. 8-B, 2nd Floor, Nand Vihar, Behind Dwarka Metro Station, Kakrola, Dwarka, New Delhi, Delhi, 110078, India